HOW WE RANK
Our Picks: The Best Sleep Supplements in 2023
According to the Sleep Foundation, 35.2% of American adults say they sleep less than the recommended 7 hours per night! 
How may other sleep supplements on the market not meet your needs?
Poor quality sleep seems to be a more and more common concern among people these days. This explains why sleep-supporting supplements are virtually everywhere.
Unfortunately, some generic sleep aids may not meet your needs or expectations. With so many options available, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Note: The information provided by this website or this company is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with your physician and should not be construed as individual medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The testimonials on this website are individual cases and do not guarantee that you will get the same results. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only.
Trademarks utilized on our website belong to their respective owners and no implied or expressed endorsement of our website or services is intended. Rankings can be affected by the relationship Smarter Choices has with our top picks.
 We have a financial relationship with some of our top picks and partners.
© 2023 Smarter-Choices.com.
All Rights Reserved.
by Nature's Bounty
- Dissolvable tablet
- Features 3 mg of melatonin
- 1-tablet serving size
- Can only be purchased through 3rd party retailers
Nature’s Bounty Melatonin is a melatonin supplement that delivers 3 mg of melatonin in each quick-dissolve tablet. This product is simple and comes in a single tablet serving which is convenient to take. It’s good to note that the tablet comes in a cherry flavor as a flavored tablet may not be the most preferred way of taking a supplement for everyone.
- Includes melatonin, GABA, L-tryptophan
- Contains magnesium
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Relaxium Sleep by Relaxium is formulated with ingredients like valerian root, GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid), and ashwagandha root. This sleep formula comes in two capsules which should be taken 30-40 minutes before bedtime. All-in-all this product is fairly similar to the number one product on this list, although you may want to note that Relaxium only offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 1-tablet serving size
- 5 mg of melatonin
- No magnesium
- Contains wheat and soy
Natrol’s dissolvable melatonin tablets deliver 5 mg of melatonin in each serving. While our team felt that these tablets are easy to take and liked that they are sold at an affordable price, they are not gluten-free as the product contains wheat. It also contains soy and therefore may not be suitable for everyone. They also only contain melatonin, making its variety of ingredients smaller than some of other products on our list.
2. Qunol Sleep
- Melatonin and GABA
- Plant extracts
- 1-capsule serving size
- No magnesium
- 30 day money-back guarantee
Qunol Sleep Support is a sleep support supplement with melatonin, ashwagandha, GABA, valerian root, and L-theanine. The serving size is 1 capsule daily and each container contains 60 servings. Although this sleep support formula features a wide range of ingredients, it does not include magnesium. Another aspect you may want to note is that the product website doesn't clearly state whether this supplement is third-party tested or not.
- With valerian root, magnesium, amino acids, and melatonin
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- 2-capsule serving size
- Includes 4 herbal extracts
- Certified safety & purity testing
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
by Primal Harvest
- Only available online
- Due to high demand, sometimes runs out of stock
Primal Sleep by Primal Harvest features a blend of premium ingredients including essential amino acids L-tryptophan and GABA, as well as melatonin, valerian root, and a form of magnesium known as magnesium bisglycinate chelate.
It also features an herbal extract blend of lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, and hops. It comes in a convenient two-capsule serving size which only needs to be taken about 30 minutes before sleep making it easy to incorporate into any bedtime routine.
As all high-quality supplements should be, Primal Sleep is third-party lab tested and made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients in a GMP-certified facility. The brand has a convenient Subscribe & Save program which means you can order this formula through their convenient and hassle-free subscription service. By signing up for a subscription you get 20% off all products plus free shipping.
To top it off, Primal Harvest has a 90-day money-back guarantee for all of its products.
How To Choose The Best Sleep Supplement in 2023
Can sleep supplements really fix your nighttime troubles? Here’s how to spot the ultimate sleep formula for restful, rejuvenating, and restorative nighttime sleep.
We all dread those seemingly endless nights of tossing and turning, just hoping that sleep will eventually come to us before the sun rises.
Sound familiar? You’re not alone.
So what’s the most common solution that people turn to when they can’t stop tossing and turning? Sleep supplements!
What type of sleep supplement is best?
Fortunately, there are now plenty of high-quality sleep supplements that focus on herbal extracts and calming ingredients that may help support sleep quality with no daytime drowsiness or hung-over feeling. Best of all, many of these options use holistic ingredients that you can take daily before bedtime.
Spotting the ultimate sleep supplement doesn’t need to be complicated. Here are some popular ingredients found in holistic sleep supplements to look for when shopping for a sleep supplement.
What To Look For In A Sleep Supplement
Try To Avoid
3. Nature's Bounty Melatonin
4. Relaxium Sleep
 “Sleep Statistics - Facts and Data about Sleep 2023.” Sleep Foundation, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/sleep-facts-statistics.
 Donath F, Quispe S, Diefenbach K, Maurer A, Fietze I, Roots I. Critical evaluation of the effect of valerian extract on sleep structure and sleep quality. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2000;33(2):47-53. doi:10.1055/s-2000-7972
To see a list of our other references, please click here.
DISCLAIMER: This scientific research is for informational purposes only. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. Primal Harvest provides this information as a service but does not endorse it. This information should not be read to recommend or endorse any specific products.
- Unclear or Misleading Labels: A quality sleep supplement should always clearly list exactly what’s included in the formula.
- Lack of Third-Party Testing: Look for sleep supplements that have been independently third-party lab tested. These unbiased test results will guarantee that the product is top quality and free from unwanted extras, such as contaminants, traces of heavy metals, or pesticides.
- Diphenhydramine: Some generic sleep supplements may contain an antihistamine known as diphenhydramine that’s used in allergy medications. This ingredient may leave some with a sleepy, groggy feeling the next day.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is an essential sleep hormone that sends signals to your brain when it’s time to sleep, wake, and eat. Shown to help regulate your body’s internal clock (circadian rhythm), melatonin can help regulate your body temperature and other important hormones needed to fall asleep soundly.*
- Valerian root: Valerian root has been used for centuries for its calming, sleep-promoting benefits. Research suggests that valerian may help promote the length and quality of deep, restorative sleep, as well as reduce the time it takes to fall asleep at night.* 
- Important Amino Acids: Amino acids like Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) and L-Tryptophan are thought to help your body produce the proteins and molecules needed for good sleep and relaxation.*
- Calming Herbal Extracts: Look for soothing herbal extracts like chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, and hops. They are thought to help support relaxation and calm which are important for unwinding after a long day, de-stressing, and preparing your body for sleep.*
- Magnesium: One of the most abundant minerals in your body, magnesium supports over 300 bodily processes, including sleep regulation. Magnesium supplementation has recently become a popular way to support sleep quality.*
Note: Individual results may vary.
by Primal Harvest
- USA-made with globally sourced ingredients
- Features melatonin, valerian root, GABA & magnesium
- Easy-to-swallow capsules
- Made in a GMP-Certified facility
- Free shipping on orders over $75
Based on 3739 Reviews of Primal Harvest
Our Choices for the Best Sleep Supplements of 2023